Hot water systems are a huge part of our everyday life, from showers to dishwashers to filling the laundry sink. A lot of the time we don’t even realise the reliance we have on hot water heaters, but they play a crucial role in more ways than one.
But, do you know the average lifespan of your hot water system? When you think about it, it runs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and has to work at the drop of a hat. What’s your lifespan guess?
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF HOT WATER SYSTEMS?
Although it may sound a little confusing, there are two different types of hot water heaters and four main types of hot water service.
Types of hot water systems
- Instant hot water: otherwise known as continuous flow, tankless or instantaneous hot water heaters
- Storage hot water: otherwise known as tank hot water heaters
Types of hot water services
WHAT AFFECTS THE LIFESPAN OF A HOT WATER SYSTEM?
There are four major aspects that affect how long your hot water system will last for:
- Water quality.
HOW LONG DO HOT WATER UNITS LAST?
In general, hot water systems last around 8 – 12 years. To be more specific:
- Storage hot water: Enamel and glass-lined tanks last 5-10 years, whereas stainless steel and copper last 7 – 10 years.
- Instant hot water: Last longer than storage systems, usually up to 20 years.
- Heat pump hot water: 10 years (approx).
Always check the warranty of the hot water system you are buying, to ensure it is sufficient length for the type you are purchasing.
HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN IT IS TIME TO REPLACE YOUR HOT WATER SYSTEM?
Keep an eye out for any of the following signs and symptoms, as they may be indicating it is time to replace your hot water system:
- Age: If your hot water system is 15-20 years old, it is likely that it is in need of replacing.
- Noise: If your hot water system is making a lot of noise, such as hissing or sizzling, this is a sign it may need to be replaced.
- Provision of hot water: If your system is no longer producing reliable hot water, this can be a sign it may need replacing.
- Corrosion: If you are finding that there is rust and/or sludge around the fittings, this corrosion can indicate a need for a replacement.
HOW CAN YOU HELP YOUR HOT WATER SYSTEM LAST LONGER?
There are a few tips and tricks that you can implement to help your hot water system last longer:
- Have a hot water professional complete regular servicing.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s maintenance recommendations.
- Keep an eye on the sacrificial anode.
- Check the temperature and pressure relief valve (TPR).
- Give Ryan Old Plumbing a call if you require any assistance with your hot water heater, or for any other plumbing needs today!